Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Things all games should have

As my inaugural post on this, the Double Jump Blog, I will share things I believe all videogames should have (feel free to contribute to this list in the comments section):

1. The ability to change difficulty at any point in the game.
I hate it when I choose a difficulty that starts out fine, but by the end of the game it's so difficult that I start hating it. I don't want to hate a game by the time I finish it.
2. Chapter Selection
CDs and DVDs can do this, why not videogames? If someone wants to jump to the end and ruin it for themselves that's their problem. This also stems from the fact that capturing footage for the show is much easier when I can jump to any point in it.
3. Limited tutorials, or skippable ones
Playing a game multiple times makes the tutorials a total drag.
4. Skippable cutscenes
This just goes without saying...
5. New Game Plus
Having the ability to start a game over with all your gear and abilities intact is a good way to get you to play the game again right away. Sometimes I want to start a game over again, but the idea of having to start from zero is a little off-putting. Being able to blast away the weakest enemies with the biggest guns is always welcome (just please scale up the difficulty to keep it from becoming boring).
--------------------------------------
Now what do you guys think? I want this blog to be a forum for discussion since it's a lot easier than doing that with a pre-recorded TV show.

COMMENCE!

2 comments:

  1. keeping sound effects on while turning off the music AND being able to put in a CD or MP3 of music that is actually good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially as a lefty, I think it is a crime when games don't have a customizable controller layout. I remember picking up a shooter one time where the only button to fire your weapon was L1. L1? Really? If I want it to be mapped to the start button, let me map it to the start button!

    ReplyDelete